Home » News » Public Safety
Milford's police chief keeps focus on community
Viola, who came to Milford last summer from the Fort Myers Police Department in Florida, said his first year wasn’t without its challenges.
White, 52, disappeared from her home on August 5, 2012, causing her family to file a missing person’s report with the police. Over the course of the next several days, extensive searches were conducted in the woods in and around Milford by both police and volunteers. But on August 10, White’s body was found in a large utility box on the side of one of the school district’s trucks. White had apparently crawled into the box and perished in the heat.
But in between the big stories that hit the news, there have been numerous drug arrests, said Viola.
The chief said he’s also trying to continue building relationships with town officials, other departments, and most importantly, the community. There are three active Neighborhood Watch groups in town, and the department just held its first Citizens Police Academy organized by Sgt. Matthew Fiffield.
For Ellen Works, who serves as Viola’s administrative assistant just as she had for former Chief Frederick Douglas who retired last year, the transition has been a smooth one.
Viola said his family has settled in nicely in New Hampshire, and though working in Milford is a lot different from working in a bigger city like Fort Myers, many of the challenges of enforcing the laws and keeping the community safe are the same no matter where he is. Fortunately, he’s had a “very knowledgeable staff who have accepted me and worked with me.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire damages interior of home on Bypass 28 in Derry - 0
- He helps make the Londonderry police force stronger - 0
- Hampton Beach Fire makes new home official - 0
- Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze - 0
- Mass. man rescued from Mt. Haystack in Franconia - 0
- Firefighters from 10 communities fight second 3-alarm fire in one day in Loudon - 0
- UPDATE: Lancaster man, 74, killed in head-on Columbia crash - 0
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072