60 years after Korean War, 62 NH veterans get their due
Before Army Lt. Col. Dennis Snelling presented the awards to 54 men and eight women veterans, he acknowledged that feeling.
The certificates are part of the Department of Defense's recognition of the war's 60th anniversary.
U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter agreed.
"People didn't talk about the Korean War when you came home, we know that," she said. "If you have felt that we haven't noticed, that we don't know your story and what you did, we do, and we appreciate all you did for that country and for this country."
A video from the South Korean government was played that showed images of the war while praising American Korean War vets for helping to keep the country free and allowing it to become the world's 10th largest economic power.
One of the female veterans, Gladys Renoe, 88, of Alexandria, was a Navy nurse serving in a medical unit near the fighting.
Norman Wardman of Milford, who said he's "70-something," said the honor "feels good."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pearl Harbor survivors remember attack - 0
- NH veterans remember attack on Pearl Harbor - 0
- Family wants remains of Swanzey sailor killed at Pearl Harbor returned for NH burial - 1
- Study of New Hampshire veterans spurs drive to help them - 0
- Wreath laid on Pierce grave in Concord - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
- Meredith man gets McQuillen Award for service to vets - 0
- Wright Museum in Wolfeboro to preserve Walter Healy's story - 0
- Auburn students get special visitor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
A chief walks: No charges in New London
Big tipper stops for lunch