60 years after Korean War, 62 NH veterans get their due
Before Army Lt. Col. Dennis Snelling presented the awards to 54 men and eight women veterans, he acknowledged that feeling.
The certificates are part of the Department of Defense's recognition of the war's 60th anniversary.
U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter agreed.
"People didn't talk about the Korean War when you came home, we know that," she said. "If you have felt that we haven't noticed, that we don't know your story and what you did, we do, and we appreciate all you did for that country and for this country."
A video from the South Korean government was played that showed images of the war while praising American Korean War vets for helping to keep the country free and allowing it to become the world's 10th largest economic power.
One of the female veterans, Gladys Renoe, 88, of Alexandria, was a Navy nurse serving in a medical unit near the fighting.
Norman Wardman of Milford, who said he's "70-something," said the honor "feels good."
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Guard unit receives award for extraordinary service - 2
- 'NH National Guard Day' proclaimed by governor - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Pearl Harbor survivors remember attack - 0
- NH veterans remember attack on Pearl Harbor - 0
- Family wants remains of Swanzey sailor killed at Pearl Harbor returned for NH burial - 1
- Study of New Hampshire veterans spurs drive to help them - 0
- Wreath laid on Pierce grave in Concord - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child