Monadnock region destination?
Jaffrey landmark awaits future
JAFFREY — Eight years after the start of a grassroots movement to reopen the Park Theatre, the project is reaching the home stretch.
Funds have been secured to demolish the old movie theater to make way for a new theater that, along with showing movies, the Park Theatre Board of Trustees hopes would serve as an arts center in the region.
The reconstruction project is expected to cost $1.6 million, said Mia Moravis, the theater's media chief.
Since fundraising started, $1.4 million has been raised.
Initially plans were to renovate the old art deco movie house that opened in 1922 and closed in 1976, but recently the board of trustees had to give up that plan and begin planning the demolition and reconstruction of the theater instead due to numerous issues with the building, Moravis said.
The board recently stepped up measures to start site work by raising $100,000 to qualify for a state Community Development Finance Authority Tax Credit of $200,000, so the project could finally begin.
By July 31 that goal was met, with $102,000 raised.
The $300,000 is to be used to clean up hazardous waste, the demolition of the building, and readying the site for construction.
Hutter Construction Corp. of New Ipswich will undertake the construction.
Moravis said a start date has not been set.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.