Keene Envirothon team wins fourth place at competition
“The team worked very hard preparing this year and earned an impressive fourth place finish in the 2013 North American Envirothon Competition,” Keene High School teacher and team adviser and coach Marshall Davenson said in an e-mail.
Davenson and Keene High School science department chairwoman Elizabeth Schnackenberg accompanied the team.
To prepare, the team sought help from Cheshire County Conservation District employees Amanda Littleton and Sharlene Beaudry and U.S. Deparment of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service New Hampshire staff member Heidi Konesko, who provided information and resources to the team.At the competition the team was tasked with advising a fictitious family ranch on the use of their rangeland.
The Envirothon challenges have also made him realize that environmental issues that can seem overwhelming, are manageable when one approaches issues at a local level and works to find a solution, he said.
The Envirothon’s mission is to develop knowledgeable, skilled, and dedicated citizens who are willing and prepared to work towards achieving a balance between quality of life and the quality of the environment. Teams are challenged in five natural resource categories such as soils and land use, aquatic ecology, forestry, wildlife, and current environmental issues.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads