Home » News » Public Safety
Man badly burned using water to put out a grease fire in Nashua
According to fire officials, an occupant at 63 Harbor Ave. suffered burns to about 20 percent of his body while trying to douse a grease fire with water.
"This caused the grease to splatter about and on the male victim causing burns to the head, neck, arms and legs," Deputy Chief Michael O’Brien said in a statement.
O'Brien was not immediately available on Thursday to provide additional details, including the name of the burn victim.
A woman suffered minor smoke exposure from the incident as well, according to a release. Firefighters responded to the multi-family home around 7:15 p.m.
The fire was contained to the stove area, which received minor damage, said O'Brien.
Fire officials are warning residents to never use water to extinguish a grease fire, as the grease will splatter and can cause serious burns. Instead, O’Brien said, a pot lid should be used to smother a grease fire and the pan should be removed from the heat.
"Never run to the sink with a pan of hot grease," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 2
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 1
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 1
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm