Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox Notes: Uehara closes gap in bullpen
By appearing in his 55th game this season for the Red Sox, Uehara guaranteed that the option on his contract will vest. Rather than becoming a free agent, the closer is under contract with the Sox for next year.
The Red Sox will be happy to have him. Uehara has been nothing short of dominant, posting a 1.32 ERA and an otherworldly 75-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Since he was installed as closer, he has yielded six hits and allowed one earned run in 24 2/3 innings in 23 appearances, including 11/3 scoreless innings Tuesday night in an 11-inning, 4-2 victory over the Blue Jays.
Said Farrell, “He’s been an outstanding pitcher for us from Day 1. We don’t foresee that changing because of the competitor he is and how talented he is and how he prepares. He’s done one hell of a job in the roles that he’s filled. Gosh, you can’t take away from how efficient he’s been. He’s been a savior for us.”
Clay Buchholz (shoulder) threw what Farrell termed a “lighter side” session, but a bigger test comes today when the right-hander gets on the bullpen mound for a “more aggressive” workout. The Red Sox are hopeful Buchholz will even simulate a break between innings. ...
Once-promising outfielder Ryan Kalish’s injury woes continue. Kalish underwent cervical fusion surgery Monday, his fourth procedure since the 2011 season. Farrell described the surgery as “invasive and drastic,” although the Sox are hopeful Kalish will be ready to play by spring training.
READER COMMENTS: 16
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 10
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 41
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
- Outrage du jour Garcia, Sullivan and victimhood - 30
- Cyber Monday alarm: The sales tax monster rises - 7
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Plea deal possible in Littleton murder
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use