UNH yard sale a benefit for students, environment
More than 20,000 items will be up for grabs at the student-run sale held at the Whittemore Center.
The sale will be held Friday, beginning at 8 a.m. for an early entry fee of $5. Doors open to all at 9 a.m. and close at 5 p.m. The sale will continue on Aug. 24 from noon to 5 p.m. and on Aug. 25 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Alex Freid, a 2013 graduate, helped launch the program in 2011 after noticing piles of items he felt could still be used overflowing from Dumpsters as students moved out.
Fun decorations, posters, and old advertisements for food and drinks are also hot items.
“We hope to engender life-long sustainable living practices in today’s students. By actively participating in waste reduction programs in campus communities, we hope that students will see and understand the value of reusing items when possible, and recycling all else when necessary,” Freid said. “Many students throw things away because there are no easily accessible alternatives out there other than the Dumpster.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 0
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 51
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
- With SNHU merger on hold, search renewed for NHIA president - 0
- Interim president encouraging student growth at WMCC - 0
- Pinkerton superintendent tours school in hors- drawn carriage - 1
- Granite State Arts Academy in Derry ready to open its doors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester brothers arrested after drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon - 2
- Headlight out leads to pot charges for Merrimack teen and her passenger - 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Too much FahrvergnŘgen: Nashua man charged with indecent exposure while driving - 2
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate