Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Helps not to go batty during round of golf
Playing a round of golf at the highly-regarded and only occasionally soggy Derryfield Country Club with B.C., Gitmo, and smooth-swinging Charlie, we are all startled to hear the voice of Mrs. B.C.
That would be B.C. He looks up, as do the rest of us.
"Don't. (pause) Pick Up. (pause) The plastic (double-pause) on the kitchen floor!" she says.
Did she say "plastic" or perhaps "plastique?" Should B.C. be worried?
(I would have gone with "why not?'' but that's just me.)
Mrs. B.C. responds with a one-word reply that rings out across several holes.
"Oh, (expletive deleted here)!" says B.C.
Seems the couple has had this trouble before. Bats. And B.C. clearly isn't a big fan. He shudders at the very word.
And the plastic, or plastique?
"She probably put a plastic coffee can over it," B.C. guesses. (It is later confirmed by Mrs. B.C. that the plastic is one step in an operation in which Mr. B.C. gets suited up like one of the Ghostbusters in order to remove the bat. This also involves a snow shovel.)
"I told you," says Baby Brother. "That house has always been full of bats. It's the closet at the top of the stairs."
This further upsets B.C., whose grip on our game that day never quite comes back, despite repeated beverage fortifications, all sung to a little tune that B.C. has made up called "The Beer Cart Girl."
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 2
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
- Angry birds clash - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Wildcats defeat Maine to advance - 1
- UNH drops Saturday night game to BC, 2-1 - 0
- SNHU wins national title - 1
- UNH fires coach McCloskey over 'incident of inappropriate physical contact with a player' - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
A chief walks: No charges in New London