Home » News » Public Safety
Driver killed in head-on collision on Route 16 in Pinkham's Grant
A 911 caller reported that the accident took place in the vicinity of the Appalachian Mountain Club Lodge, Lt. Todd Landry of Troop F in Twin Mountain said in a news release.
"Responding personnel arrived to find that a Toyota Sienna Caravan had been traveling northbound and for an unknown reason crossed the center line and struck a Pontiac Grand Prix head-on," police said.
The driver of the Pontiac suffered "traumatic injuries" and was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger in that car was transported to Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin for non-life threatening injuries. The driver of the Toyota Sienna and four "youth passengers" were transported via ambulance to Memorial Hospital in Conway, for non-life threatening injuries.
"The name of the deceased and all others is currently being withheld until family notification has been made," according to Landry, who said police would issue that information later.
Personnel from the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's Office, U.S. Forest Service and Gorham Fire and Rescue responded to the scene near the foot of Mt. Washington in the unincorporated area midway between Gorham to the north and Jackson to the south.
The cause of the collision is under investigation headed by Trooper Meredith Favreau, according to police. Anyone with information - including witnesses to the crash - are asked to contact Favreau at (603) 846-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem