Scholarship honors memory of music teacher
His wife, Muriel, said she was surprised when more than 600 people attended her husband's wake last August following his death Aug. 18 after a brief illness.
Mr. Maynard began his teaching career at Merrimack High School in 1969 as director of music. In 1975, he became the director of choirs at Manchester High School West, where he taught until he retired in 2004.
"I was in awe of his ability to work with students and really help students to really mature with their voices," said Baines, a longtime friend. "To see the talent he was able to nurture is absolutely phenomenal."
"He was so full of life," she said in an interview.
Two West students — Meghan Gallagher and Mikaela Aherrera — recently received $500 scholarships from the fund to attend the Summer Youth Music School at the University of New Hampshire.
"Music was everything for him," she said.
Baines said Mrs. Maynard hopes other students can flourish.
Donations can be made to the scholarship fund through Centrix Bank, 1 Atwood Lane, Bedford 03110.
READER COMMENTS: 10
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 1
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Stopping the worst people on earth - 0
- Lynn Preston's NH Legal Perspectives: What prospective real estate purchasers need to know - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: 'Mirror' approach reflects important role of humans in dog training - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The media and the mob - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 1
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate