Home » News » Public Safety
Updated: Two injured in Route 93 accident in Sanbornton
The accident occurred in the northbound lane at mile marker 65 and was reported at 4:11 p.m. Motorists were detoured from the highway onto Route 132 north to New Hampton until the road was cleared at about 5:30 p.m.
Two DHART helicopters landed on the northbound lane of Interstate 93 late Tuesday afternoon to carry away a 19-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man with life-threatening injuries after an apparent single-car accident, said Sanbornton Fire Chief Paul Dexter.
Both were in serious condition, Dexter said, as both suffered severe head and internal injuries. Neither of them were wearing seat belts, he said.
Dexter said the car, a four-door compact sedan, rolled over several times in the northbound lane near mile marker 65 for an as-yet undetermined reason, and was found by rescue crews in the middle of the highway. No other cars were involved, he said.
The male victim driving the car was not pinned inside, but needed to be extracted and had serious injuries to his head and abdomen, he said.
The woman, who potentially had the more serious injuries, was ejected from the car and landed a short distance from the car on the highway pavement, he said.
"She suffered multiple injuries to the right side of her body, including some significant road rash," Dexter said.
Both were awake and talking at the scene. "That's a positive sign, but you never know with these things how they'll turn out," Dexter said.
Sanbornton police and rescue crews were aided at the scene by fire departments from New Hampton and Tilton-Northfield. State police are investigating the crash, Dexter said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Boy out walking hit, injured by Jeep in Newton - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: A.J. Pierzynski OK with Red Sox - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072