Home » News » Public Safety
Wallis Sands closed after possible shark sighting
Amy Bassett, spokesman for the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said the assistant manager at the beach spotted what he believes to be an eight-foot shark following a school of stripers in about four feet of water off the beach.
The waters at Wallis Sands were evacuated before 3 p.m. and Bassett said water access is being prohibited until at least Wednesday.
Everyone else along the coast is also on heightened alert, especially down at Hampton Beach.
"Our lifeguards are in the tower and in the chairs making sure there is nothing out there," Bassett said.
The U.S. Coast Guard has been called in to help look for the possible shark to confirm it.
"If it is in the area, then we will have an even more heightened alert and make sure we are paying attention and making those calls if we will open again tomorrow. If it is a shark and it stays in the area, obviously we'll reassess our plan in the morning," Bassett said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change