Home » News » Public Safety
Wallis Sands closed after possible shark sighting
Amy Bassett, spokesman for the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, said the assistant manager at the beach spotted what he believes to be an eight-foot shark following a school of stripers in about four feet of water off the beach.
The waters at Wallis Sands were evacuated before 3 p.m. and Bassett said water access is being prohibited until at least Wednesday.
Everyone else along the coast is also on heightened alert, especially down at Hampton Beach.
"Our lifeguards are in the tower and in the chairs making sure there is nothing out there," Bassett said.
The U.S. Coast Guard has been called in to help look for the possible shark to confirm it.
"If it is in the area, then we will have an even more heightened alert and make sure we are paying attention and making those calls if we will open again tomorrow. If it is a shark and it stays in the area, obviously we'll reassess our plan in the morning," Bassett said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return