Deroy Murdock: Where is the GOP alternative to Obamacare?
"At least they used to say, 'Well, we're going to replace it with something better,'" Obama said. "There's not even a pretense now that they're going to replace it with something better."
• Create a robust market in which individuals — not bosses or politicians — can choose to own and control portable health plans.
• Shift tax-deductibility of health premiums from employers to employees, to help workers purchase the coverage that they — not CEOs or senators — prefer.
• Free Americans to open voluntary, tax-free Health Savings Accounts from which they can finance over-the-counter drugs, routine medical care, and catastrophic insurance for severe ailments.
• Reform the medical-malpractice system, which propels health costs skyward.
• Limit federal involvement to supplying health-insurance subsidies to those remaining Americans who cannot care for themselves nor find relief through civil society, local and state government, or the initiatives outlined above. Rather than ruin medicine for 316 million people, government should assist the tough cases who cannot secure help elsewhere. Instead of disastrous micromanagement, Washington simply should offer direct cash payments to help the truly needy and infirm buy private health plans that satisfy their needs.
When even the Big Government workers who would run Obamacare reject it, the time has come to dispatch this smoldering wreck to the scrap yard.But before the Congressional GOP can expect the American public to climb aboard the medical bullet train that they envision, Republicans themselves need to embrace its blueprints.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 6
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 1
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 7
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Giampetruzzi leads Trinity into D-I semis - 0
Rondo leads Celtics past Nets
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Turkey vultures not commonly seen in NH until fairly recently
FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief