Thomas Sowell: Reality vs. mirages in Egypt
Of all the different nations that have existed at various times and places throughout recorded history, it is doubtful that even 10 percent were free or democratic.
Has no one noticed the ongoing lethal violence between different sects of Muslims in the Middle East, or their intolerance toward Christians and murderous hatred of Jews? Muslims in some other parts of the world have been more tolerant, and there have been five female heads of state in Muslim countries. But not in the Middle East.
The idea that, when a government we find unsatisfactory is overthrown, we can expect a better government to follow, goes back at least as far as President Woodrow Wilson. His intervention in the First World War — a war "to make the world safe for democracy" — turned out to be a war whose actual end results replaced old monarchies with new, and far worse, totalitarian governments.
After contributing to the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood to power, and the disastrous aftermath of that, the Obama administration is now publicly lecturing Egyptian leaders, and trying to micro-manage them from thousands of miles away. And some conservatives are joining the Quixotic chorus, playing with fire.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax