Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Poor Giants' defense leads to Red Sox win
Aside from Middlebrooks' homer that opened the scoring in the second inning, the Boston runs off Zito were greatly aided by the Giants' defense.
The Giants, who went 0-for-15 with runners in scoring position in the first two games of the series, never advanced a runner past first base against Doubront other than when Arias touched them all on his first homer of the season.
Right-hander Koji Uehara pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning for the Red Sox.
NOTES: Ellsbury's first hit, a double on the game's third pitch, continued his streak of having hit safely in all 15 of Boston's interleague matchups this season. ... Red Sox 1B David Ortiz left the game in the fifth inning because of lower-back spasms. ... The Giants got good news on two injury fronts. An MRI on 3B Pablo Sandoval's sore lower back revealed no structural damage. He sat out his second consecutive game nonetheless. X-rays on C Hector Sanchez's left forearm were negative and he caught the final two innings Wednesday. He was hit in the arm by a LHP Franklin Morales fastball in the Giants' ninth-inning rally Tuesday night.
... The home run off Zito was the 16th he's allowed this season. The Giants now have three pitchers among the top 20 in the NL in home runs allowed: RHP Matt Cain (sixth with 19), RHP Tim Lincecum (tied for 17th with 16) and Zito.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 0
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Sullinger has figured out NBA schedule maker - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Inspiration personified: Plymouth State's Josh Morgan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
- Derry medical corps to seek grant - 0
- NH reps eyeing budget deal - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false