Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots' regulars can't do much against Lions in 40-9 preseason thumping
With most of the starters on both offense and defense playing into the third quarter of the third preseason game at Detroit Thursday night, the Patriots looked out of sorts on both sides of the ball and fell, 40-9.
Another nice throw over the middle to rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld had the Patriots deep in the red zone, but Sudfeld coughed up the ball when he was hit by Glover Quin.
Brady also threw an interception in the first half. Rookie Aaron Dobson got bumped coming off the line of scrimmage, throwing off the timing and Brady threw into triple-coverage, where Chris Houston snagged the pick.
Meanwhile on defense, the Patriots starters had a few more positives but were uneven overall.
But Detroit was able to put together drives for a touchdown and field goal. The Lions also managed to work down the field with less than a minute remaining in the half to add another field goal for the 16-3 intermission score.
The Patriots finally got into the end zone with 32 seconds left in the game, when backup Ryan Mallett, who played the entire second half, hit running back James Develin with a 9-yard touchdown pass.
Third-string QB Tim Tebow did not play Thursday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
Hooksett confident contract to send students to Pinkerton doesn't violate Manchester settlement