Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots' regulars can't do much against Lions in 40-9 preseason thumping
With most of the starters on both offense and defense playing into the third quarter of the third preseason game at Detroit Thursday night, the Patriots looked out of sorts on both sides of the ball and fell, 40-9.
Another nice throw over the middle to rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld had the Patriots deep in the red zone, but Sudfeld coughed up the ball when he was hit by Glover Quin.
Brady also threw an interception in the first half. Rookie Aaron Dobson got bumped coming off the line of scrimmage, throwing off the timing and Brady threw into triple-coverage, where Chris Houston snagged the pick.
Meanwhile on defense, the Patriots starters had a few more positives but were uneven overall.
But Detroit was able to put together drives for a touchdown and field goal. The Lions also managed to work down the field with less than a minute remaining in the half to add another field goal for the 16-3 intermission score.
The Patriots finally got into the end zone with 32 seconds left in the game, when backup Ryan Mallett, who played the entire second half, hit running back James Develin with a 9-yard touchdown pass.
Third-string QB Tim Tebow did not play Thursday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 0
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Sullinger has figured out NBA schedule maker - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Inspiration personified: Plymouth State's Josh Morgan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
- Derry medical corps to seek grant - 0
- NH reps eyeing budget deal - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal