Home » Sports » Football » Patriots/NFL
Patriots' regulars can't do much against Lions in 40-9 preseason thumping
With most of the starters on both offense and defense playing into the third quarter of the third preseason game at Detroit Thursday night, the Patriots looked out of sorts on both sides of the ball and fell, 40-9.
Another nice throw over the middle to rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld had the Patriots deep in the red zone, but Sudfeld coughed up the ball when he was hit by Glover Quin.
Brady also threw an interception in the first half. Rookie Aaron Dobson got bumped coming off the line of scrimmage, throwing off the timing and Brady threw into triple-coverage, where Chris Houston snagged the pick.
Meanwhile on defense, the Patriots starters had a few more positives but were uneven overall.
But Detroit was able to put together drives for a touchdown and field goal. The Lions also managed to work down the field with less than a minute remaining in the half to add another field goal for the 16-3 intermission score.
The Patriots finally got into the end zone with 32 seconds left in the game, when backup Ryan Mallett, who played the entire second half, hit running back James Develin with a 9-yard touchdown pass.
Third-string QB Tim Tebow did not play Thursday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice