Manchester school board waits on Hooksett
The Manchester board approved the agreement partly out of the recognition that a large number of Hooksett parents had already sought to pull their kids from the district. An estimated 60 to 70 students had sought alternative placements this year, close to half the incoming class. It's not clear at this point how many Hooksett students will be part of the freshmen class at Manchester high schools.
Other board members echoed the view of Mayor Ted Gatsas, that many parents in the town feel a loyalty to Manchester.
Other board members, however, have raised concerns about the impact of Hooksett leaving, particularly the lost revenue. If all of Hooksett's students leave, it could cost the district $500,000 to a $1 million a year in tuition.
"To try to force (Hooksett) to stay, I don't know what good that would've been," he said. "We would've been spending hundreds of thousands on attorneys fees. At this point, I'd rather spend the money on the schools."
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 37
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 10
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 71
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
- Playing chicken: Treating voters like idiots - 0
- Perry’s indictment: An abuse of the legal system - 24
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help