Manchester school board waits on Hooksett
The Manchester board approved the agreement partly out of the recognition that a large number of Hooksett parents had already sought to pull their kids from the district. An estimated 60 to 70 students had sought alternative placements this year, close to half the incoming class. It's not clear at this point how many Hooksett students will be part of the freshmen class at Manchester high schools.
Other board members echoed the view of Mayor Ted Gatsas, that many parents in the town feel a loyalty to Manchester.
Other board members, however, have raised concerns about the impact of Hooksett leaving, particularly the lost revenue. If all of Hooksett's students leave, it could cost the district $500,000 to a $1 million a year in tuition.
"To try to force (Hooksett) to stay, I don't know what good that would've been," he said. "We would've been spending hundreds of thousands on attorneys fees. At this point, I'd rather spend the money on the schools."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
- Three missing Siberian Huskies found dead - 5
- 3 communities may share animal officer - 0
- Merrimack dog owner desperate to find three missing Huskies - 1
- Dock-diving dogs woof it up at Humane Society fundraiser - 0
- Walk for Whiskers to raise money to support shelter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- John Stossel: Incumbents almost always win - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Where you go to college could be an issue at the polls - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters