Home » News » Public Safety
Bacteria closes UNH Outdoor Pool temporarily
UNH announced on Thursday the pool would be closed immediately after the results of a required weekly bacteria test indicated that coliform was present.
The facility will remain closed until a future test shows the water meets the standard of less than one total coliform per 100 milliliters of water in a future test, per standard protocol.
The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services mandates that the 75-year-old pool be tested weekly for total coliform bacteria and E.coli bacteria due to the slow water circulation in the 43,000 square foot pool.
Water circulation remains one of the university?s primary concerns as they work with the town to come up with a plan for the future of the pool. Safety concerns have led the university to considering closing the WPA-era pool and replacing it with a smaller, modern outdoor pool.
Residents in Durham have pushed back against this proposal and have organized a group to try and preserve the pool as is.
A public meeting to discuss the pool is being organized by the university and is scheduled to be held sometime this fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate