Roger Simon: If only Bob Filner were a movie star
In a state where celebrities are often worshipped, Filner does not resemble a celebrity.
No, Filner is not the sexting type. He is the groping, grabbing, sticking his hand down the bra, licking the face, sticking his tongue down the throat type. Allegedly. Allegedly in allegations made by 18 women.
Filner admits he "failed to fully respect the women who work for me and with me," but has refused to resign.
Back in 2003, gubernatorial candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger was accused by 15 women of groping them or otherwise touching them sexually against their will.
Before the election, Jay Leno said in one of his monologues, "You've got Arnold, who groped a few women, or Davis, who screwed the whole state."
Then Oprah had both Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, on her show, and Shriver told everyone to ignore the accusations against her husband. "I know the man I'm married to," she told Oprah.
In 2011, after finding out Schwarzenegger had fathered a child with the family housekeeper, Shriver took off her wedding ring, gathered up her children, left her home and filed for divorce.
This is the kind of celebrity status that Bob Filner lacks. And it must bother him. He says he is misunderstood. "I'm a hugger," he says.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 9
- Thomas Sowell: Freedom is not free; you've got to fight for it - 1
- Michael C. Whitney: A small gas tax hike would be good for business - 7
- Jonah Goldberg: In the case of My Brother's Keeper, race does, and should, matter - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The NH Senate's Medicaid trap - 0
- Rep. William Butynski: A casino gambling plan that works for NH - 3
- George Will: Misreading Putin, and history - 4
- Rep. Kenneth Fredette: NH should avoid Maine’s Medicaid mistake - 5
- David Harsanyi: Social conservatives would benefit by embracing libertarianism - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 6
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief