Roger Simon: If only Bob Filner were a movie star
In a state where celebrities are often worshipped, Filner does not resemble a celebrity.
No, Filner is not the sexting type. He is the groping, grabbing, sticking his hand down the bra, licking the face, sticking his tongue down the throat type. Allegedly. Allegedly in allegations made by 18 women.
Filner admits he "failed to fully respect the women who work for me and with me," but has refused to resign.
Back in 2003, gubernatorial candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger was accused by 15 women of groping them or otherwise touching them sexually against their will.
Before the election, Jay Leno said in one of his monologues, "You've got Arnold, who groped a few women, or Davis, who screwed the whole state."
Then Oprah had both Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, on her show, and Shriver told everyone to ignore the accusations against her husband. "I know the man I'm married to," she told Oprah.
In 2011, after finding out Schwarzenegger had fathered a child with the family housekeeper, Shriver took off her wedding ring, gathered up her children, left her home and filed for divorce.
This is the kind of celebrity status that Bob Filner lacks. And it must bother him. He says he is misunderstood. "I'm a hugger," he says.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads