Roger Simon: If only Bob Filner were a movie star
In a state where celebrities are often worshipped, Filner does not resemble a celebrity.
No, Filner is not the sexting type. He is the groping, grabbing, sticking his hand down the bra, licking the face, sticking his tongue down the throat type. Allegedly. Allegedly in allegations made by 18 women.
Filner admits he "failed to fully respect the women who work for me and with me," but has refused to resign.
Back in 2003, gubernatorial candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger was accused by 15 women of groping them or otherwise touching them sexually against their will.
Before the election, Jay Leno said in one of his monologues, "You've got Arnold, who groped a few women, or Davis, who screwed the whole state."
Then Oprah had both Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, on her show, and Shriver told everyone to ignore the accusations against her husband. "I know the man I'm married to," she told Oprah.
In 2011, after finding out Schwarzenegger had fathered a child with the family housekeeper, Shriver took off her wedding ring, gathered up her children, left her home and filed for divorce.
This is the kind of celebrity status that Bob Filner lacks. And it must bother him. He says he is misunderstood. "I'm a hugger," he says.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Brandon Ross: A sure-fire way to eradicate NH's 'spice' problem - 1
- Another View: Jeanne Shaheen was M.I.A. on VA reform - 24
- Paul Holloway: NH's community colleges prepare for a new era - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: More ways Washington squanders your money - 5
- Pat Buchanan: Let Congress vote on Iraq War III - 1
- Who is minding those who mind the store at NH State House? - 4
- Jonah Goldberg: America's selective Libertarianism - 6
- Charles Krauthammer: Why Hillary got it right - 11
- George Will: President Obama in a stew over inversions - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 8
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m