Roger Simon: If only Bob Filner were a movie star
In a state where celebrities are often worshipped, Filner does not resemble a celebrity.
No, Filner is not the sexting type. He is the groping, grabbing, sticking his hand down the bra, licking the face, sticking his tongue down the throat type. Allegedly. Allegedly in allegations made by 18 women.
Filner admits he "failed to fully respect the women who work for me and with me," but has refused to resign.
Back in 2003, gubernatorial candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger was accused by 15 women of groping them or otherwise touching them sexually against their will.
Before the election, Jay Leno said in one of his monologues, "You've got Arnold, who groped a few women, or Davis, who screwed the whole state."
Then Oprah had both Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, on her show, and Shriver told everyone to ignore the accusations against her husband. "I know the man I'm married to," she told Oprah.
In 2011, after finding out Schwarzenegger had fathered a child with the family housekeeper, Shriver took off her wedding ring, gathered up her children, left her home and filed for divorce.
This is the kind of celebrity status that Bob Filner lacks. And it must bother him. He says he is misunderstood. "I'm a hugger," he says.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Citizens Bank robbed Saturday in Manchester