Roger Simon: If only Bob Filner were a movie star
In a state where celebrities are often worshipped, Filner does not resemble a celebrity.
No, Filner is not the sexting type. He is the groping, grabbing, sticking his hand down the bra, licking the face, sticking his tongue down the throat type. Allegedly. Allegedly in allegations made by 18 women.
Filner admits he "failed to fully respect the women who work for me and with me," but has refused to resign.
Back in 2003, gubernatorial candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger was accused by 15 women of groping them or otherwise touching them sexually against their will.
Before the election, Jay Leno said in one of his monologues, "You've got Arnold, who groped a few women, or Davis, who screwed the whole state."
Then Oprah had both Schwarzenegger and his wife, Maria Shriver, on her show, and Shriver told everyone to ignore the accusations against her husband. "I know the man I'm married to," she told Oprah.
In 2011, after finding out Schwarzenegger had fathered a child with the family housekeeper, Shriver took off her wedding ring, gathered up her children, left her home and filed for divorce.
This is the kind of celebrity status that Bob Filner lacks. And it must bother him. He says he is misunderstood. "I'm a hugger," he says.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 3
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 11
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released