Ted Siefer's City Hall: Gatsas challenger adds issue of crime to campaign debate
Alderman and mayoral candidate Patrick Arnold made crime one of the focal points of the campaign speech he delivered at City Hall last week. In a preview of the speech, he referred to the city's "skyrocketing violent crime." Arnold has been plenty critical of the state of the schools and economic development, but crime is a fairly new plank that he's used to hammer Mayor Ted Gatsas.
It's notable that Arnold's source is the FBI and not the Manchester Police Department's recently released 2012 annual report. In the section on crime statistics, the MPD report shows that violent crime held steady from the previous year, while property crime declined 8.6 percent.
Police spokeswoman Lt. Maureen Tessier said the difference stems from the fact that the MPD uses the National Incident-Based Reporting System, or NIBRS. State police convert that data using the UCR system, and then forward it to the FBI, she said.
"I thought it was a good program," he said.
"I still keep in touch with the students and my instructor. It helped me learn the building trades," he said.
But, he said, "there were a lot people who fought to bring it here. Now we might as well put it to the best use. It will definitely help kids who didn't get a good high school education and help them get into the job field."
Ted Siefer may be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @tbsreporter.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Aldermen see familiar face; MPD 'smacked' for its actions - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Schools, consolidation ideas and tears mark aldermanic session - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Gatsas continues job-consolidation mantra - 2
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Video machines and gambling: What gambling? - 1
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: 'Sexting' episode on Facebook becomes topic in real world - 13
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester Supt. Livingston won't explain modified school standards - 0
- Manchester aldermen go extra, roundabout mile to see firefighter hired - 3
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Manchester school board should be proud of its accomplishments - 1
- Manchester police looking at a possible shift in Maras - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission