'Historic change in leadership' at state's colleges and universities
Financial pressures, declining enrollments and demographic changes are creating tough, new expectations for senior management in academia, even as the incumbents grow older.
"Nationally, we know that college presidents are older than they have ever been historically," Horgan said. The average age of a college president is now 61, compared to early-50s just 10 years ago.
One of the institutions making the biggest break with tradition is St. Anselm College, which will for the first time since its founding in 1889 by the Benedictine monks have a lay person as president. Steven DiSalvo came through the fundraising pipeline, having worked in the development offices of Fordham University, and was the executive director of the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation. He founded the Hopewell Group, an advisory group for wealth management, before becoming president of Marian University in Wisconsin.
The three largest institutions making a leadership change took a more traditional route, Horgan said.
Anne E. Huot takes over as president of Keene State College after serving as provost and vice president for academic affairs at The College at Brockport, State University of New York.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
- Londonderry sophomore has a passion for the past - 0
- Students take part in seminar on privacy at Nashua North - 0
- Londonderry kids learn while doing on Toga Tuesday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112