Common Core coming to Manchester classrooms
Superintendent Debra Livingston presented sample curriculum guides at a meeting of the Curriculum and Instruction Committee Tuesday. The guides were produced by city teachers over the summer under the guidance of a consultant hired by the district.
"We have been using a system that teaches a mile long and an inch deep. What Common Core does, it has shifted those ideas to make sure students are understanding at a very deep level," she said.
Members of the committee expressed reservations about approving the curriculum guides, since they were only presented with two examples, for Grade 2 English Language Arts and for Grade 7 Math.
"This would really be a pilot program," said Ward 1 board member Sarah Ambrogi, the chair of the committee.
The opponents of the standards said their research caused them to be very concerned.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
- 'Embrance the challenge ... behold the view,' MCPHS grads told - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383