Common Core coming to Manchester classrooms
Superintendent Debra Livingston presented sample curriculum guides at a meeting of the Curriculum and Instruction Committee Tuesday. The guides were produced by city teachers over the summer under the guidance of a consultant hired by the district.
"We have been using a system that teaches a mile long and an inch deep. What Common Core does, it has shifted those ideas to make sure students are understanding at a very deep level," she said.
Members of the committee expressed reservations about approving the curriculum guides, since they were only presented with two examples, for Grade 2 English Language Arts and for Grade 7 Math.
"This would really be a pilot program," said Ward 1 board member Sarah Ambrogi, the chair of the committee.
The opponents of the standards said their research caused them to be very concerned.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 5
- Pinkerton: 'No surprises' on first day with additional Hooksett students - 1
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America