Ian Clark's On Baseball: Catching on quickly
Vazquez was in the lineup for the Portland Sea Dogs Tuesday night against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. While his strong and accurate throwing arm and excellent athletic ability behind the plate have been in place from the start, Vazquez's bat is catching up with the rest of his skills.
"I'm working every day to watch my head, stay to the middle of the field, stay calm at home plate and see the ball well," Vazquez said.
"Watching him in the game and what he brings to the pitching staff, it's not often you find a player who catches and throws like him. And right there you have something special," Gedman said. "His game-calling has gotten better. He's getting to see different pitchers and different styles of pitching and finding what works and doesn't work. He's gaining experience and confidence in his game-calling. He's feeling the freedom to do what he needs to do. As he goes up, he's going to learn from the pitchers as well."
FISHER CATS FOOD DRIVE: The Fisher Cats will host the Sea Dogs for a 6:35 game tonight at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium and the team is asking fans to bring canned goods for donation to the New Hampshire Food Bank.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand - 42
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 9
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 2
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
- Ex-Littleton man sentenced to prison for DWI crash - 0
- Greenfield planners seek input on Heritage District plan proposal - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840