Ian Clark's On Baseball: Catching on quickly
Vazquez was in the lineup for the Portland Sea Dogs Tuesday night against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. While his strong and accurate throwing arm and excellent athletic ability behind the plate have been in place from the start, Vazquez's bat is catching up with the rest of his skills.
"I'm working every day to watch my head, stay to the middle of the field, stay calm at home plate and see the ball well," Vazquez said.
"Watching him in the game and what he brings to the pitching staff, it's not often you find a player who catches and throws like him. And right there you have something special," Gedman said. "His game-calling has gotten better. He's getting to see different pitchers and different styles of pitching and finding what works and doesn't work. He's gaining experience and confidence in his game-calling. He's feeling the freedom to do what he needs to do. As he goes up, he's going to learn from the pitchers as well."
FISHER CATS FOOD DRIVE: The Fisher Cats will host the Sea Dogs for a 6:35 game tonight at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium and the team is asking fans to bring canned goods for donation to the New Hampshire Food Bank.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
- Wildcats shut down Black Bears again - 1
- U.S. preparing for grueling World Cup - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840