Ian Clark's On Baseball: Catching on quickly
Vazquez was in the lineup for the Portland Sea Dogs Tuesday night against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. While his strong and accurate throwing arm and excellent athletic ability behind the plate have been in place from the start, Vazquez's bat is catching up with the rest of his skills.
"I'm working every day to watch my head, stay to the middle of the field, stay calm at home plate and see the ball well," Vazquez said.
"Watching him in the game and what he brings to the pitching staff, it's not often you find a player who catches and throws like him. And right there you have something special," Gedman said. "His game-calling has gotten better. He's getting to see different pitchers and different styles of pitching and finding what works and doesn't work. He's gaining experience and confidence in his game-calling. He's feeling the freedom to do what he needs to do. As he goes up, he's going to learn from the pitchers as well."
FISHER CATS FOOD DRIVE: The Fisher Cats will host the Sea Dogs for a 6:35 game tonight at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium and the team is asking fans to bring canned goods for donation to the New Hampshire Food Bank.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- No. 1 UConn women rout No. 2 Duke - 0
- Patriots’ Wilfork maintains he’ll be back - 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 8
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840