Gilford to spend conservation trust funds for land purchase
The board approved the conservation commission’s request Tuesday night to spend $110,000 from land-use change funds toward the total cost of $210,000 of what is known as the Gage parcel, a 327-acre area in Moulton Valley on the slope of Piper Mountain, according to the commission’s Everett McLaughlin.
It has taken commission officials a decade to get the owners to agree to sell the property, he said.
“We’ve been chasing that land for 10 years, but it’s been worth the wait,” he said. “That land is beautiful.”
Mount Major is on the eastern end of the Belknap Range.
The state owns the Route 11 parking area and the summit, which are part of the 60-acre Mount Major State Forest. But the four parcels of land in between are privately owned.
The groups, working with the Belknap Range Conservation Coalition, are working together to preserve the rest of the Belknap Range’s views, recreational opportunities and wildlife habitats for present and future generations.
If the groups can raise the money and buy them, all four properties are kept open to the public for hiking, hunting, snowmobiling and other recreational activities, McLaughlin said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNO Pizzeria in Hudson plans cancer fundraiser - 0
- Farmington firefighters to don pink for fundraiser - 0
- 5K honors city teen who died from cancer - 0
- Great North Woods, White Mountains foliage expected to hit peak next week - 0
- Salem Rams hope to memorialize volunteer with scoreboard naming - 0
- Salem looks ahead to property updates - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Molly Stark DAR hosts Constitution meeting - 0
- Keene festival's pumpkin giveaway requires online registration this year - 0
- Currier Museum showcases impossible possibilities by M.C. Escher, who inspired generations of pop culture - 0
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
5K honors city teen who died from cancer
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it