Home » News » Roads and Travel
Work on Cornish-Windsor Bridge begins Sept. 9
The state Department of Transportation will start eight-week repair project of the Cornish-Windsor Bridge next month. (Courtesy of the Cornish Historical Society)
The bridge will remain open, but motorists should plan accordingly and allow for more travel time, said New Hampshire Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton.
The bridge carries the Cornish Toll Bridge Road over the Connecticut River from New Hampshire to Vermont.
Beginning the week of Sept. 9 repair work will necessitate single lane traffic from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., controlled by temporary signals for up to eight weeks, according to DOT.
Hammond said he doesn't take issue over not being notified, but was curious as to what exactly the project entailed.
Town officials have talked to DOT officials in the past about making the area outside of the bridge safer for pedestrians, but nothing has ever come of that, he said. Again it is a state road, he said.
The 449-foot long wooden covered bridge was built in 1866 and rebuilt in 1989.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches