Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Owens impresses on the mound
He had gone three, five, four and six innings in his previous four starts. In 24 and two-thirds innings, he has allowed 12 hits, struck out 38 and walked 14.
Yes, he's seems to be getting comfortable in Double-AA. By taking batters out of their comfort zones.
"Today, they were fouling off my curve and I was like, 'Why am I throwing a pitch that they're fouling off?' Owens said. "Why don't I throw my changeup that they're swinging through and my fastball that they're making weak contact with? It's kind of reading a team the first time through."
"For him to keep this lineup off balance was pretty impressive," Boles said.
He does it by throwing the fastballs at 90 and the changeups and curves in the high-60s and a little above with a consistent delivery and arm speed, said Boles and Spring.
Added Spring: "I mean, he's seven-feet tall and he throws everything with good arm speed."
"His game makeup is phenomenal," Boles said. "He turns the page, no matter what happens the outing before, good or bad. He's ready to go."
He turned 21 last month and was starring in high school just over two years ago when the Red Sox took him as a sandwich round pick (No. 36 overall) in the 2011 draft out of Edison High School in Huntington Beach, Cal.
"We tried to get him out there, but once you saw him on the mound, you knew he made the right call," Boyce said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- I-293: A plan to make it better through Manchester - 4
- Dover’s winter parking ban begins Dec. 1 - 0
- Rockingham Road to reopen Wednesday - 0
- Manchester’s winter parking ban goes into effect Dec. 1 - 0
- Public gets look at new Sarah Long bridge - 1
- In Windham, I-93 work is loud and clear - 0
- Expect delays: Road work on Interstate 93, Route 28 scheduled for this week - 0
- Police warn drivers to watch out for deer on roadways - 0
- Merrimack ramp tolls will stay - 4
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 6
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up