Warm homecoming for NH soldiers returning from Afghanistan
William Fish a Blackhawk pilot, hugs his son Major, 5, after returning from a 9-month deployment to Afghanistan, at Manchester-Boston Regional Airport, in Manchester, on Thursday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
Fish described the country as a constant of hot, dusty desert. He and Shallow flew medical rescue missions into what Shallow called "the worst situations where people are having the worst days of their lives."
"It was 95 percent sheer boredom and 5 percent sheer terror," Fish said of his deployment.
"You wait and wait and wait, and then the call comes in and you go as quick as you can and you fire the aircraft up and go help whoever needs help. Then you go park it for a little while and wait for the next one."
Major, who called Fish's arrival "great," was echoed by Shallow's sister, Christine Patane of Goffstown.
"Now he can harass me from nearby instead of from overseas," she said with a laugh.
Maj. Gen. William N. Reddel greeted Fish and Shallow as they came through the airport gate and said he was relieved to greet another couple of troops who made it home safely.
Lt. Col. Gregory Heilshorn, spokesman for the New Hampshire Army National Guard, said 10 more soldiers are expected to arrive tonight.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 11
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 29
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
- NH's Obamabots: Taking their cues from party bosses - 57
- Spending & voting: MayDay's wasted money - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 0
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 0
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 1
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
USNH's raw deal: Part deux
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Labor fines proposed on school project