Warm homecoming for NH soldiers returning from Afghanistan
Fish described the country as a constant of hot, dusty desert. He and Shallow flew medical rescue missions into what Shallow called "the worst situations where people are having the worst days of their lives."
"It was 95 percent sheer boredom and 5 percent sheer terror," Fish said of his deployment.
"You wait and wait and wait, and then the call comes in and you go as quick as you can and you fire the aircraft up and go help whoever needs help. Then you go park it for a little while and wait for the next one."
Major, who called Fish's arrival "great," was echoed by Shallow's sister, Christine Patane of Goffstown.
"Now he can harass me from nearby instead of from overseas," she said with a laugh.
Maj. Gen. William N. Reddel greeted Fish and Shallow as they came through the airport gate and said he was relieved to greet another couple of troops who made it home safely.
Lt. Col. Gregory Heilshorn, spokesman for the New Hampshire Army National Guard, said 10 more soldiers are expected to arrive tonight.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Up late with Shaheen: Misplaced Senate priorities - 17
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 3
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 6
- Electronic benefits: Sin and the EBT card - 2
- ‘Legislative cocaine:’ Gambling and state revenue - 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 14
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents