Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Solid Salty in line for a big payday
Jarrod Saltalamacchia may not be doing it at the top of the order or with the same flashiness that Ellsbury features when he's at his best. His agent isn't Boras; it's Laconia native and UNH grad Jim Munsey. And his next deal isn't going to come anywhere near the nine figures Ellsbury could command in his forthcoming contract.
Saltalamacchia has, however, emerged as one of the game's top offensive catchers over the past couple of campaigns, putting up particularly impressive numbers this year despite being forced to carry a heavier-than-expected load behind the plate — at first because of a head injury to backup David Ross, but more recently because his bat has become almost indispensable in the lower half of the Boston lineup.
"You look at (his) willingness to hit the pitch where it's located rather than going in, looking to sell out and drive a pitch no matter where it is on the plate," John Farrell said. "The home run totals might be down a little bit, but he's a more dangerous and more complete hitter with the numbers he's putting up right now."
Dave D'Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'