NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Salem begins by beating Bedford
Salem jumped out to an early lead and rode it to a 2-0 season-opening victory over Bedford at Salem High Friday.
"The start was great, more than I can hope for, with two freshmen linking up twice," said Salem coach Anthony Karibian.
About 10 minutes later, Fischera put a shot on goal that Reeks seemed to have wrapped up. But it came loose and Moreno was on top of it and drove it into the net.
"To their credit, I think they were the better team today" said Pepper about the Blue Devils. "They started a lot stronger. We were raw and a bit scattered."
"We wanted to play straight up," said Karibian "But as the game went on, they pushed forward and we had to match their pressure."
Strout made eight saves to earn a shutout in his first varsity start.
Pepper said the Bulldogs were missing several starters. Add the loss of eight seniors and this Bedford lineup lacked experience.
Even with an emphasis on defense, Salem still had several good scoring chances in the second half, including one shot that caromed off the crossbar late.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child