Home » News » Public Safety
Roar of motorcycles draws police scrutiny
Patrol Division Traffic Unit Supervisor Sgt. Andrew Vincent said motorcycles can meet the new lower decibel standard when being test ed, either at a checkpoint or during the required annual mechanical inspection, but still be a problem because of how they are operated.
In addition, when exhaust pipes are modified or changed to straight pipes — the equivalent of a rusted out or missing car muffler — the noise level wouldn't be acceptable.
He rejected the popular argument that loud pipes save lives, which has its own acronyn: LPSL.
But motorcycles definitely prompt calls to police, although it can be frustrating to address because of how noise must be measured. Sometimes operators are given a warning instead of a citation. Other times, they are cited for defective equipment and given time to remedy the problem.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads