Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: She's walkin' the walk and talkin' the talk
Allen's story of losing 185 pounds without weight loss surgery, a fad diet or miracle pill is featured in this month's issue of Prevention Magazine.
She is starting her 30th year in the business office at The Derryfield School, but she definitely needs to think about a second career in writing.
It led to a phone interview and then a photo shoot. Allen, who said she had never worn makeup or heels before in her life, said it was a fun day and an amazing experience.
Allen's story is inspiring, and the Prevention article and this column only scratch the surface of the wisdom she has to share with others about changing from the inside out.
Public speaking is scary, and speaking to 350 teenagers about a personal story of obesity has to be the most terrifying prospect ever.
"I wanted to express my gratitude for being part of such an amazing community, and to convey to our students the importance of treating all people, regardless of body size (or any differences), with dignity and respect," she wrote in an email.
Good time at Gill
I have been a spectator at Gill Stadium many times, but I have never actually been on the field.
Among the many activities planned, is a free "Play on the Turf" event on Saturday. Sue Capano, a member of the stadium centennial committee, said the event will promote athletics and healthy lifestyles from 1 to 4 p.m. with live entertainment, a climbing wall, bungee jumping, races, food samples, crafts, face painting and so much more.
NH365.ORG Event of Week
A sure sign of the end of summer is the colorful sign on the front lawn of St. Pius X Church on Candia Road announcing the parish's annual fair.
For more information on this and other events around Manchester this week, visit www.NH365.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Sullinger has figured out NBA schedule maker - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Inspiration personified: Plymouth State's Josh Morgan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings