Home » News » Politics » Granite Status
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bradley won't run for Gov, US Senate in '14, cites ill family members
We've learned that Shumaker has submitted his letter of resignation from the state Ballot Law Commission, which he was appointed to by former Gov. John Lynch in January 2012.
The resignation will be taken up at Wednesday's Executive Council meeting in Durham.
Executive Councilor Colin Van Ostern, D-Concord, told the Granite Status that Shumaker told him that he would soon be named New Hampshire senior adviser to "Ready for Hillary," a political action committee laying the groundwork for a Hillary Clinton presidential campaign and urging her to run.
It's the first hint that a Hillary Clinton campaign is about to gear up in the first-in-the-nation primary state.
Shumaker did not respond to our requests for comment, but it is not a surprise that he would have a role in a Hillary Clinton campaign.
A long-time friend and supporter of both President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton, Shumaker was named Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago by the former President in 1997.
Shumaker was one of Bill Clinton's original New Hampshire supporters in 1991 and was a key player in his presidential campaigns. He was also a key Hillary Clinton supporter in the months leading up to the 2008 leadoff presidential primary.
Shumaker is an attorney with the Berstein Shur firm and is a former member of the Democratic National Committee.
(An earlier Granite Status report follows.)
TUESDAY, SEPT. 3: JEB RULES OUT GOV, US SENATE RUN. State Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley shocked Republican Party officials today by disclosing that he won't run for governor, the U.S. Senate or even the U.S. House next year.
The 60-year-old Wolfeboro Republican told the Granite Status he has two "very sick family members" and came to the conclusion during the weekend that he simply could not manage the difficult personal situation while embarking on a campaign for statewide office.
He did not rule our running again for the state Senate next year, but did not commit to doing so, either.
Bradley as recently as Friday gave no hint he was thinking along these lines.
He told the Granite Status on Friday he was "flattered by all the people to talking to me."
While Bradley had been initially focusing on a potential U.S. Senate run, Republicans in recent weeks had begun trying to talk him into running for governor, instead of the U.S. Senate, believing that it was a more winnable race for him and would focus on state issues, on which they believe he has intimate knowledge and expertise.
"Sometimes during long weekends you get a chance to think," Bradley told us Tuesday afternoon. "I have two very sick family members and I had a lot of chance to talk to family about how to manage the situation over the weekend and I just came to the conclusion that -- I just knew it that I had to put family first and had to do what I had to do for my family.
"I'm gratified by the folks who have urged me to do different things," he said. "I'm flattered."
We understand that Bradley did not tell state party officials of his decision until earlier today. He made the disclosure following the state Senate's session in which Sen. Chuck Morse, R-Salem, was voted in as Senate President.
The Bradley decision leaves Republicans without a major candidate for governor and the U.S. Senate. Former U.S. Sen. John E. Sununu has ruled out a run for the Senate, while his brother, Executive Councilor Chris Sununu has ruled a run for governor.
Tomorrow, former state Sen. Gary Lambert will announce his candidacy for the 2nd District U.S. House seat held by Rep. Annie Kuster.
Former U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta has said he will announce his intentions this month, and his former chief of staff and campaign manager has said Guinta will run for a third time against Rep. Carol Shea-Porter.
(See earlier Granite Status reports elsewhere on this page or click on "Granite Status" above.)
Details of Reams inquiry released
A working port: For a working state
DWI License Revocations
Details of Reams inquiry released