Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox hand Tiger's Scherzer rare loss
And the former Red Sox great can thank current Sox left-hander Jon Lester and third baseman Will Middlebrooks for keeping it that way.
Lester scattered eight hits, struck out nine and did not walk a batter in winning for the third time in his last four starts. Three relievers worked the eighth and Koji Uehara continued his marvelous run with a perfect ninth (nine pitches, two strikeouts).
Scherzer, who had been getting great run support (the Tigers scored in double figures in five of his victories, including a win over Boston), was bidding for his first career complete game but was lifted in the eighth inning.
Lester pitched around a leadoff double in the first inning but didn’t escape in the second. The damage could have been worse had it not been for a blunder by Detroit third base coach Tom Brookens.
Lester retired six straight in the third and fourth. But an error by Middlebrooks at third and two singles left the bases loaded with two out and Cabrera, a .418 lifetime hitter with the bases loaded, coming up. Lester fell behind 2-0 but got the slugger to ground out.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Sullinger has figured out NBA schedule maker - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Inspiration personified: Plymouth State's Josh Morgan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings