Fresh start for students in Merrimack
Kimberly Silva serves hot lunches to eighth-grade students on Tuesday during the first day of school at Merrimack Middle School. (KIMBERLY HOUGHTON PHOTO)
"Everybody seems happy to be here. They were ready to go bright and early this morning," said Barbara DeNutte, a teacher at Merrimack Middle School.
"A lot of these skills will focus on improving student organization," she said.
"We are ready to roll," said Powers.
At Reeds Ferry School, the first day went even better than expected for Principal Kimberly Yarlott.
Members of the Merrimack police and fire departments were on hand to assist Tuesday morning, offering additional security and extra smiles, said Yarlott.
"Our enrollment is up a little bit, and we will be on the higher end once the preschoolers arrive," said Yarlott, who visited each of the classrooms on Tuesday to greet the students personally.
At Mastricola Elementary School, students were greeted with brand new flooring as asbestos abatement work was completed throughout the summer.
There are about 465 students at Mastricola Elementary School this school year, according to Carter, who said the teachers are eager to begin implementing a new writing program in the coming months.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads