Manchester superintendent offers teachers inspiration
She said the relationship teachers establish with students starting on the very first day of school will affect the amount they learn.
Livingston said every year she still goes school shopping — even though she needs no supplies — and picks up a box of those Crayola crayons.
“They believed I would be a first generation college graduate,” she said.
The principals of the city’s four high schools — Ronald Mailhot of Central, Arthur Adamakos of Memorial, Chris Motika of West and Karen White of the Manchester School of Technology — then outlined the district’s vision for the school year. The focus, they said, should be on the student and strong communication with students, parents and fellow teachers, and collaboration among the high schools.
“Books and supplies will be on hand and students will learn something on day one,” he said.
“Learn their names,” Adamakos advised.
Motika said there are a lot of students who need additional effort. What is needed is communication on all levels, especially with parents and students, including home visits or making telephone calls to home, he said.
“Consider going out with a colleague to do a home visit,” he said. “Try to figure out what the problem is to help build a stronger relationship.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
- Angry birds clash - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Volunteers sought for discipline committees
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383