Home » News » Public Safety
DES digging into ground under old New Ipswich service station
According to Joyce Bledsoe of the department’s Oil Remediation and Compliance Bureau, the contamination beneath the old gas station has existed since 1989 and was caused by a series of leaks from underground tanks over the station’s 60-year history.
There were several attempts to mitigate the soil contamination in order to protect the groundwater, but Bledsoe said that because of the building’s location, it was impossible to remove all the soil. In 2006, soil was taken from the parking area, but that left plenty of contaminated ground untouched.
“The State of New Hampshire wants all of its groundwater to be of drinking water quality,” said Bledsoe.
“We have a lot of these projects, a lot of sites that are contaminated,” said Bledsoe, “and the state Reimbursement Insurance Fund pays for the cleanups.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072