CONCORD — The New Hampshire Union Leader has requested access to public records regarding a potential measles outbreak at an employer, after state health officials refused to identify the organization.
Dr. Jose Montero, the New Hampshire director of public health, on Tuesday said officials determined late last week that an out-of-state resident who was infected with measles visited the employer last month. Montero would not identify the employer, but he said the employer was in southern New Hampshire and has a workforce of more than 600 people. Employees who cannot prove their immunization were told not to return to work until Saturday.
State health officials release information inconsistently when it comes to outbreaks.
This summer they twice linked a Contoocook restaurant, The Covered Bridge, to infections of Hepatitis A. And on Wednesday, they warned of brain surgery infections at Catholic Medical Center in Manchester.
Highly contagious, measles can result in serious complications, even death, in patients. Its seriousness is tempered by the fact that millions of Americans have been immunized against the disease.
The New Hampshire Union Leader requested information about the measles infection under the state's right-to-know law.
Meanwhile, spokesmen for two large employers -- Merrimack-based Fidelity Investments and Manchester-based Elliot Hospital -- said they have taken no precautions against measles.