Pat Buchanan: No Syrian war to save Obama's face
If Congress votes no on a resolution calling for U.S. intervention in Syria's civil war, says McCain, it would be "catastrophic" for U.S. credibility in the world.
Because Barack Obama, two years ago, said "Assad must go," and, one year ago, said any use of chemical weapons crosses his "red line," Congress has no choice but to plunge America into yet another Mideast war.
Are we really required to go to war to get the egg off Obama's face?
There is, and it's right in front of us.
The House, Senate or both can vote no on the war resolution and Obama can then say, as did David Cameron, that, while he disagrees, he respects the decision of a Congress in which the Constitution placed sole authority to authorize America's going to war. For Obama, and for us, it is the other options that invite catastrophe.
Patrick J. Buchanan is a former Republican and Reform Party candidate for President, an adviser to two Presidents, a syndicated columnist based in Washington, D.C., and the author of "Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025?"
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Input sought on Keene board of ed candidates - 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 1
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list