Hillsborough fair a drag and lots more
In the pulling ring, Jim Brown boarded his 1956 Ferguson tractor and tried to match the machine's strength against a pile of massive concrete blocks. Pulling the blocks just over a foot was a major feat for the tractor and its operator.
"We're just playing and having fun," said Brown. "I'm just a dumb farmer with nothing else to do."
Brown competes at fairs several times a year. Sometimes luck is with him, and sometimes it isn't.
But Brown likes the fair in New Boston.
"I just love it here," he said. "I like the fair, I like the people, and I like the country."
"It's supposed to simulate what they'd have to do in the woods," said Samantha Locke of Barnstead, who was preparing to compete with her team of horses.Draft horses were used a great deal in New Hampshire's timber industry, Locke said, and were responsible for getting felled trees out of the forest.
For more information visit www.hcafair.com.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.