Home » News » Public Safety
Water 'trouble coming' for Epping
Some residents found brown water, like this collected in a jar, coming from the tap in Epping last week. (JASON SCHREIBER/Union Leader Correspondent)
In a letter dated Aug. 30, the state Department of Environmental Services said it's concerned that the water being produced by the three wells at Hoar Pond "is or may be degrading over time under their current pattern of use."
Groundwater level monitoring data collected from Hoar Pond Well No. 3 and submitted to the state on Aug. 2 "indicated that the existing sources may not be capable of providing their projected production volumes and that the need for additional supply may be more critical," the letter said.
Water woes have plagued Epping for years and more concerns have been raised in recent years with the rapid expansion of businesses, including restaurants and other retailers, on Route 125.
But for the third time, voters last March defeated a $2.5 million plan to buy the property. The same proposal was rejected in 2010 and 2011.
Koch said commissioners plan to ask voters in March to consider the proposal once again.
McGeough said selectmen haven't taken a vote on whether to back the plan again, but he will support it and believes board members will as well.
Officials from the Department of Environmental Services plan to meet with water and sewer commissioners on Oct. 1.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms